The World Health Organization has maintained its assessment that the hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship MV Hondius remains a low public health risk as the vessel approaches the Netherlands following several weeks at sea.
In a statement issued ahead of the ship’s arrival in Rotterdam, the WHO said the overall global risk remained low based on the latest available information. The agency noted that while additional infections could still emerge among passengers and crew exposed before containment measures were introduced, the likelihood of wider transmission was expected to decline after disembarkation and the enforcement of health controls.
The MV Hondius is scheduled to dock at the Dutch port of Rotterdam on Monday morning. Authorities said 27 people remain on board, including 25 crew members and two medical staff. The vessel had originally departed from Argentina last month carrying nearly 150 people.
Three deaths linked to the outbreak have been reported since the voyage began, prompting heightened monitoring by health officials and maritime authorities. The outbreak has attracted international attention due to the confined conditions aboard the ship and concerns about the potential spread of infectious disease among passengers and crew.
Health officials have not released the identities of the victims, and authorities continue to monitor those who may have been exposed. Control measures on board reportedly included medical isolation procedures, health screenings and restrictions aimed at limiting contact between individuals after the first suspected cases emerged.
Hantavirus infections are relatively rare in humans but can cause severe illness. According to the WHO, the virus is primarily transmitted through contact with urine, droppings or saliva from infected rodents. Infection can also occur through rodent bites, although this is considered uncommon.
The organisation stressed that person-to-person transmission of hantavirus remains rare, which has helped limit broader concerns over international spread. Public health experts say most outbreaks are linked to environmental exposure in areas where infected rodents are present.
Dutch health authorities are expected to oversee the disembarkation process in Rotterdam and continue monitoring remaining crew members after arrival. Medical evaluations and precautionary measures are likely to remain in place until officials are satisfied that the risk of additional infections has been reduced.
The incident comes amid continued global vigilance over infectious disease outbreaks linked to international travel and cruise operations, sectors that have faced increased scrutiny since the COVID-19 pandemic.
WHO officials said containment efforts implemented on the vessel appear to have reduced the risk of further spread, though investigations into the source and progression of the outbreak are continuing.
