Iran warns of wider conflict if US and Israel resume attacks

Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps warned on Wednesday that any renewed attacks by the United States and Israel on Iran would trigger a broader conflict extending beyond the Middle East, as tensions remained high despite ongoing negotiations aimed at ending the war.

In a statement published on the Guards’ Sepah News website, the force said Iran had not yet used its full military capabilities during the conflict that erupted earlier this year.

“If the aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will this time spread far beyond the region, and our devastating blows will crush you,” the statement said.

The warning came after Donald Trump said Washington could launch new strikes against Iran within days if talks over a lasting settlement fail to produce results. Trump indicated on Tuesday that the United States was giving diplomacy only a limited window before reconsidering military action.

“I’m saying two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week,” Trump told reporters. “A limited period of time.”

The conflict between Iran, the United States and Israel began on February 28 and escalated into nearly 40 days of fighting before a ceasefire took effect on April 8. The war resulted in the deaths of several senior Iranian officials, including supreme leader Ali Khamenei, according to Iranian reports, and triggered retaliatory missile and drone attacks launched by Tehran across the region.

Although the ceasefire has largely held, both sides have continued exchanging threats while diplomatic proposals move between Tehran and Washington through regional mediators.

The Revolutionary Guards said the combined military power of the United States and Israel had failed to break Iran’s resistance.

“The American-Zionist enemy must know that despite the offensive carried out against us using the full capabilities of the world’s two most expensive armies, we have not deployed the full power of the Islamic revolution,” the statement said.

Trump said earlier this week that Gulf Arab leaders had urged him to suspend a planned military strike at the last moment to allow negotiations to continue. Regional governments have been pressing both sides to avoid another escalation that could destabilise energy markets and threaten shipping routes across the Gulf.

Abbas Araghchi also issued a warning on social media, writing on X that a “return to war will feature many more surprises.”

The latest exchange of threats comes as international concern grows over the possibility that renewed fighting could disrupt oil exports and shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a critical route for global energy supplies.

Diplomatic efforts are continuing through intermediaries, though neither side has indicated that a breakthrough is close.

Leave a Reply