Trump Says Gulf Leaders Urged Delay of Planned US Strike on Iran

US President Donald Trump said he has postponed a planned military attack on Iran after appeals from key Gulf leaders who urged Washington to give diplomacy more time amid ongoing efforts to end the conflict in the Middle East.

Speaking on Monday, Trump said the decision followed requests from UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and Saudi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

According to Trump, the military operation had been scheduled for May 19 but was halted after consultations with Gulf allies who argued that negotiations with Tehran were still active and could yet produce a breakthrough.

Trump said he instructed US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Daniel Caine and military commanders to suspend preparations for the strike out of “respect for the leaders” involved in mediation efforts.

The US president warned, however, that Washington remained prepared to act if talks collapsed. He said that if an “acceptable” agreement is not reached, the United States could launch a “full, large scale assault of Iran” with little notice.

The latest remarks come after weeks of stalled diplomacy and escalating military tension across the Gulf region. Negotiations between Washington and Tehran, reportedly mediated through Pakistan, have so far failed to produce a ceasefire or broader political settlement.

Talks that began on April 12 ended without agreement after lengthy discussions focused on Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief, ballistic missile activities and the future of the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical oil shipping routes.

Iran reportedly demanded continued control over the strait, compensation through shipping tolls and an end to military operations in the region, while the US pushed for restrictions on uranium enrichment and regional security guarantees.

Tensions escalated sharply after the United States announced a maritime blockade of Iranian ports in April. Diplomatic efforts suffered additional setbacks when planned meetings involving US envoys and Pakistani mediators were cancelled later that month.

In recent weeks, both sides have publicly criticised each other’s proposals. Trump repeatedly described Iranian responses as “unacceptable,” while Iranian officials accused Washington of attempting to impose unilateral conditions.

The conflict has also spread across the Gulf. Earlier this month, the UAE reported intercepting multiple missiles and drones launched from Iran, while attacks near Fujairah’s Petroleum Industries Zone caused injuries and damage to infrastructure.

Iranian media reported over the weekend that Washington’s latest proposal offered no meaningful concessions and linked any broader ceasefire to new negotiations.

On Monday, Pakistani mediators reportedly delivered a revised Iranian proposal to US officials, warning that time for diplomacy was running short as regional tensions continued to rise.

Global markets and Gulf governments are closely watching developments amid fears that any direct military confrontation could threaten shipping routes, oil supplies and broader regional stability.

Leave a Reply