The death toll from a militant hijacking of a train in Pakistan’s Balochistan province has climbed to 31, the country’s military confirmed on Friday, as security forces declared an end to the violent standoff.
The Jaffar Express was attacked on Tuesday while traveling through a remote mountain pass in southwestern Pakistan. Militants from the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) claimed responsibility for the hijacking, which involved blowing up train tracks and taking hostages.
In a statement, Pakistan Army spokesperson Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry said security forces rescued 354 passengers and killed 33 insurgents in the operation. Among the victims, 23 soldiers, three railway employees, and five passengers lost their lives, an increase from the previously reported 25 fatalities.
Militants Claim to Have Executed Hostages
The BLA, a separatist insurgent group, claimed its fighters had escaped with 214 hostages and later executed all of them, though it provided no evidence. Pakistani authorities have dismissed this claim, with officials noting that all passengers were accounted for after the rescue operation.
“This battle is not over yet but has intensified,” the BLA said in a statement.
The BLA is the most powerful of several Baloch insurgent groups that have been fighting for independence from Pakistan for decades. The province, rich in minerals, gas, and strategic infrastructure, is home to major China-led projects, including the Gwadar port and gold and copper mines.
Pakistan Accuses Foreign Involvement
In a significant escalation, Pakistan’s military accused India and Afghanistan of supporting the insurgents, repeating allegations made earlier by the country’s foreign ministry.
Chaudhry stated that Pakistan had gathered evidence of foreign backing for the attack. However, both New Delhi and Kabul have strongly denied any involvement.
The attack is one of the deadliest in recent years in Balochistan, a region that has long been plagued by insurgency, ethnic tensions, and violence targeting security forces, government officials, and infrastructure projects.
While the army has declared the operation over, the threat of future attacks remains high, as militant groups continue to wage their insurgency against the Pakistani state.